March 16, 2011

JOHN CARTER OF MARS!!



I have to come up with a final project that demonstrates an understanding of anatomy...and that's pretty much where the stipulations end besides having to do with my major. I figured that I would borrow Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter Saga starting with "A Princess of Mars" for the assignment because most of the characters are nude throughout the novel anyway. Rather than doing a book cover scenario I figured if I'm going to be a comic artist I should do a comic page. So here's a compilation of sketches that I did for the mid point presentation to try and establish a look. Tars Tarkas still has a long way to go but it's just studies so whatever. Also yes it's true that Disney is doing a movie of the same name but I can't picture the guy they got as John Carter. He's too young looking...and pretty....bleh. As such my Carter (plus mutton chops) is loosely based on Michael Fassbender of "300" fame. He's got that particular kind of handsome ugly going for him and I could totally see him being from the south and having fought in a war the way John Carter was supposed to have. Enjoy.