January 5, 2017

Thank you Mark Hamill









(Click any of the images to view bigger)

In light of recent events involving Carrie Fisher, this is a personal post in the hope that at some point Mark Hamill will be able to read it. So from here on out I'll just be writing as if I were addressing him  personally.  For the rest of you feel free to talk amongst yourselves.


Mr. Hamill,

In the past week or so my wife and I have both found ourselves getting choked up over the loss of Carrie Fisher even though we had never known or met her in real life.  She apparently had such a large effect on the world that even though I had only known her through Star Wars and movies like The Burbs and When Harry Met Sally, I suppose even we felt like we had lost something.  A kind of "by proxy"  influence of her personality?  Naturally this type of event starts the mind going and I thought that I should take a moment to write to you.

I just wanted to say thank you.  It seems very unlikely that I will ever have the chance to meet you in person and this is probably just a drop in the ocean of adoration you must receive on a daily basis.  But I wanted to say thank you for the positive effect you've had on my life.  There's something to be said for good role models and you portrayed (and continue to portray) a good natured character of strong moral principles and growing up I really took that to heart.  

It's weird to say that I've known your face for as long as I can remember.  Probably true of a few generations by now.  The Jedi Luke action figure from 1983 was my security blanket when I was young and my parents carried around extras in their pockets in case their screaming child misplaced his.  I drew a quick messy comic at work one day to illustrate that, as seen above along with some other stuff.  More than Luke though in all the interviews I've seen and the celebration talks it's really heartening to see how open you are to the crowds. It's a great feeling when your childhood hero comes across as just as great in real life.  So I'll wrap this up by saying thank you one more time.  My world and those around me are all the better for your influence. 

All the best,

Sean Krummel


No comments: